So let's say you're moving out of your apartment and moving into a house the same week. And it's Valentine's Day. What do you want to be cramming to get done? A major 3rd grade project! That involves a costume. And artifacts. And a relevant musical instrument that demonstrates both changes in volume and pitch. And a backdrop. And a PowerPoint. To be fair, Nicholas has worked really hard for weeks on his project, which he chose to do on the Hopis. I did send a desperate email to his teacher last weekend asking where in the world to buy supplies. I'd love to just swing by Michael's! But he got it all done, and was very excited for his Living History Museum. Each 3rd grade class (there are 4) had about a half an hour for all the 3rd grade parents, teachers and students to walk around, look at the kids' projects and ask questions about their indigenous people. I was a proud mama listening to him talk and talk about food, customs, shelter etc. to other parents...he's quite the expert. He made a kachina, a set of rattles, a bag of dried corn, an adobe shelter and a pottery bowl.

Breach cloth costume courtesy of a cloth shopping bag with the handles cut off and an added drawstring. Moccasins courtesy of my closet. :)
Each student had a table with a laptop for their PowerPoint, their backdrop and their artifacts.
It was a such a worthwhile project...but I'm oh so glad that it's over!
No comments:
Post a Comment