Saturday, May 10, 2014

Emerson Budapest Company Picnic

Tom decided it would be nice for all the people in his office to get together with their families.  He (or should I say his fantastic assistant, Kati!) organized a fun event at a park up in the Buda Hills.  I supplied dessert, using precious American imports to make chocolate chip cookies, brownies and Rice Krispy treats.  For whatever reason I had tons of cookies left over, but the brownies and Rice Krispy treats were devoured.  In a country where they don't sell marshmallows, the Rice Krispy treats were pretty novel.  A lot of the children weren't into them, but the adults scarfed them down!


It was a group affair to make a huge pot of amazing goulas.  It hung over the fire via a metal tripod and cooked for hours.  We also had various grilled meats and vegetables.  Some of the guys got me to drink palinka, a Hungarian liqueur.  There was both homemade and purchased palinka there.  The plain homemade stuff pretty much tasted like jet fuel, but the honey flavored one I tried was quite tasty.


We brought our pop-up soccer goals, soccer balls, bocce set and American footballs.  The kids, despite language differences, played so nicely together. Nicholas didn't stop moving for the 4 hours that we were there, and even got some of the Emerson guys to pass around a football with him.


This sweet woman, Beata, worked with Charlotte on her Hungarian.  They'd take turns drawing pictures of animals, fruits and colors, then write the Hungarian name beneath.  


Charlotte was a little shy around all the strangers, but Beata got her to warm up.

It was great fun, and everyone enjoyed themselves.  I was especially happy to put faces to names, and meet the families of the people Tom works with.  There will be more family events in the future, I'm sure!

No comments: