Friday, March 28, 2014

How Did I Forget to Write About This??

OK, this happened a month ago, and I'm realizing I never put it in the blog since I basically rely on my pictures to jog my memory and there weren't any of this.  So here goes...

Around February 20 (less than a week after we moved into our house), Tom was out of town.  At about 1:30am, the buzzer to our pedestrian gate rang.  I certainly wasn't going to buzz anyone up, and since speaking on the gate phone is tough without knowing how to speak Hungarian, I popped out the front door to see what was going on.  (In true Cabrini fashion I was still up and dressed, so at least I had that going for me.)  A nice gentleman who spoke English was walking his dog, and told me there was water coming out of my house.  What!?!  There's a manhole cover in our driveway where the water meter is.  Water was bubbling up out of that and running like a river, away (thankfully) from our house and down the street.  So now what?  I don't even know what the water company is called, since Tom's assistant set up the utilities and they all get directly billed to Emerson.  I try finding out online, and I think I have the right company, but it's all in Hungarian, and from what I can gather the customer service doesn't open until 7am.  I try calling the landlord.  No answer and no voice mail.  Tom (now awake and trying to help despite being in another country), texts the landlord who eventually calls me back.  He calls the water company, then calls me back and says they should be there in an hour.  They arrive around 3am, and don't speak English.  They work in my driveway, and eventually come to get me to show me their work.  "OK?" they ask.  Um, sure.  The water is no longer flowing down my driveway, so....great.  Off they go. 

I'm an independent, take-charge kind of person, and this pretty much epitomizes the massive helplessness I feel living here.  Just another reason to continue my Hungarian classes!

No comments: