Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Monumental Weekend

My son eats a lot of different foods. I really shouldn't complain because I know it could be oh so much worse. But that boy has had a total mind block against eating sandwiches in any form, or anything that comes in a bun. Will he eat "turkey, cheese and bread" (otherwise known as a deconstructed turkey sandwich)? Of course. Will he eat a "beef patty" (bunless burger). Yes. But everything has to be carefully plated/deconstructed so as not to cause total freak-out. This weekend we had two major occurrences. On Saturday, we were at a church BBQ, and when I suggested he might want to eat his hot dog in a bun so his hands wouldn't get greasy (that was me trying to play off the fact that he really doesn't like getting messy), he said "Sure. That's a great idea". And he did eat the whole thing in a bun. Praise abounded. Then at the Spring Fair, he ate an entire hamburger with a bun. Was it peer pressure because Isabella was doing it? I doubt it. He's been totally immune to peer pressure which I'm sure I'll be glad about when he's in high school...but I'd love it if it got him to eat a sandwich! I know I shouldn't be so thrilled that he's ingested completely nutritionally devoid white flour buns...but it's the idea of them and the possibilities of future foods that is exciting. I have no idea what's come over him, but it is such a welcome change. We can only hope it continues!

No comments: