Thursday, September 11, 2008

When Golf Goes Bad...


As with pretty much all the injuries my children have had (minor though they've all been), I was in the room when this happened. A fact that Tom loves to remind me. Nicholas was busy putting in the family room when his lightning-fast crawling sister zoomed in front of his stroke and took a putter to the face. I freaked out. In freak-out mode I called Tom, who when he arrived home (this happened around 5ish...) was expecting a little more of a wound. It doesn't look all that bad in the picture, I know, but in the moment it seemed pretty bad. After a few minutes of understandable crying (her not me) she was totally herself, so I really wasn't concerned about anything except stitching, but I had no idea at what point you need stitches. It obviously wasn't gushing blood or gaping open or anything, but it was on her face! I called the doctor who asked if I could pry apart the wound. Um, hadn't tried that for obvious reasons. He said he'd wait while I tried. Picture me, pinning Charlotte down and trying to pry apart her cut. Fun times for all. I couldn't, which was excellent news. We just have to treat with a prescription antibiotic cream (apparently Neosporin isn't so great to get in your eyes). I still don't totally get how the putter caused this, but whatever. We have established the "no putting in the same room as Charlotte" rule to avoid a recurrence. At the end of the day, if this can be the worst thing that happens to her for a long, long while, I'll be one happy mom!

1 comment:

Rachel H said...

Ouchie! Good to know the qualifications for stitches! Crazyily enough, with two boys, I have never had to wonder before. Happy healing!