Our little chapel had an Easter Vigil service, so we went on Saturday night. I hadn't been to a Vigil in years and years, certainly since I had kids, and it was amazing. We all processed in the dark chapel holding a mish-mash of candles, dripping wax all over our hands and the floor. Despite it being very long, the kids held out and I was happy we went.
Going to church on Saturday meant we could sleep in (yea, right!) and hang at home all day on Easter. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is closed on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, so we stocked up on food and enjoyed some welcome family time.
I was committed to incorporating some Hungarian traditions into our celebration this year. The biggest food tradition I found was having "fonott kalacs", or braided sweet bread. After perusing many, many online articles, I settled on a recipe.
It made a HUGE loaf. Really had to cram it in my tiny oven! (I also got busy and let it rise way too long on its last rise...so I wasn't sure if all my efforts would be in vain!)
Tada! It was a big hit...which is good because it made enough for an army!
There is an Easter Bunny (the "Nyuszi") in Hungary. He seemed to leave clues in eggs leading to Easter baskets just like in the US. Although there were Hungarian coins instead of American ones in all the eggs.
To add to his extensive Monopoly collection!
World Cup soccer cards were a big basket hit. He has never really been into baseball cards, but man does he obsess over soccer cards!
We went yesterday to our corner wine shop to pick up a bottle of wine, and the shop owner threw in some "kiddy wine" as he called it. Starting them young... :)
A Hungarian Easter table is often decorated with pussy willows (which I tried to buy...I'll have to start the search earlier next year!) or these yellow flowers which grow in our yard.
We had a great day. Food, family, and a long, long game of Hungarian Monopoly.
Rejoice! Happy Easter!
No comments:
Post a Comment